$207 million in equipment sold at five-day Ritchie Bros. Edmonton auction
17,600+ people from 59 countries registered to bid in the auction; 65% of equipment sold online
Last week, Ritchie Bros. sold 12,300+ equipment items and trucks for CA$207+ million (US$154+ million) during its massive five-day auction in Edmonton, AB.
A record 17,600+ bidders from 59 countries registered to participate in the April 30 - May 4, 2019 auction, including 13,500+ online bidders. Approximately 86 percent of the equipment in the auction was sold to Canadian buyers, with buyers from Alberta purchasing 52 percent, while international buyers from countries such as China, Poland, and the United Kingdom purchased 14 percent of the equipment. Online bidders purchased approximately 65 percent of the equipment.
"We had a great live event in Edmonton last week, setting new company records for number of bidders and sellers," said Brian Glenn, SVP, Head of Canadian Sales, Ritchie Bros. "Despite a long and challenging winter for many companies across Western Canada, we witnessed positive pricing across all equipment categories. Oilfield transportation was a big feature of the auction; supported by strong out-of-country participation, we delivered very solid returns for consignors. Core construction assets also performed well as Canadian companies continue to adjust to market conditions and upgrade their fleets. We would like to thank all the sellers and buyers participating in last week's auction."
Mr. Glenn continued, "On top of the 12,300 plus items sold in our live event, we also sold several million-dollars-worth of assets through a special Edmonton online Marketplace-E event. With 'Make Offer' and 'Buy Now' formats this event gave our Canadian sellers additional controls over the selling price and process, while providing buyers even more equipment to choose from. Some big-ticket items already sold through the event include a 2011 Terex-Demag AC200-1 all-terrain crane that sold for CA$820,000 and two Junttan pile hammers that sold for CA$755,000 each."
A record 1,500+ owners sold equipment in the Edmonton live auction, including a complete dispersal of 300+ assets for Harpoon Energy, a Red Deer, AB-based oilfield surface rental company.
"Ritchie Bros.' Edmonton April auction is the best Canadian sale of the year and I'm very pleased with the results we achieved this week," Dave Roberts, Owner of Harpoon Energy. "When you team good quality equipment with Ritchie Bros.' extensive pool of customers, you are going get market value or better for your assets and cash in hand in three weeks. Ritchie Bros. makes it easy."
Auction sales highlights included:
- A 2013 Mech 4000 ultra-heavy telescoping double drilling rig sold for CA$820,000
- A 2014 Western Star 4800TS T/A T/A with a Manitex 50255S boom truck sold for CA$425,000
- A 2012 Caterpillar 627H motor scraper sold for CA$420,000
- A 2011 Kenworth C500 T/A T/A 400-in. WB bed truck sold for CA$365,000
- A 2012 Elrus M5585 closed circuit portable cone crushing plant sold for CA$355,000
- A 2017 Caterpillar 160M3 AWD motor grader sold for CA$345,000
- A 2013 Peterbilt 367 tri-drive hydro vac truck sold for CA$340,000
- A 2011 Caterpillar D6T LGP dozer sold for CA$325,000
- A 2013 Tigercat 870C feller buncher sold for CA$270,000
AUCTION QUICK FACTS: EDMONTON, AB (April 2019)
- Total gross transactional value - CA$207+ million (US$154+ million)
- Amount sold to online bidders - CA$134+ million (US$100+ million)
- Total registered bidders (in person and online) - 17,600+ *New Company record
- Registered online bidders - 13,500+ *New Company record
- Total lots sold - 12,300+ *New Canadian record
- Number of sellers - 1,500+ *New Company record
The special Edmonton Marketplace-E event, which started on April 16 and features many high-value items, is still ongoing. More than 100 items are still available for purchase—visit ironplanet.com/mpe-edmonton for more info. In total there are currently more than 4,300 items available for purchase through Marketplace-E.
Ritchie Bros. currently has more than 50,000 equipment items, trucks, and other assets listed for sale across all its auctions and marketplaces. For a complete list of upcoming auctions and equipment available, visit rbauction.com and ironplanet.com